Planning & Zoning

The Village of Garland's Planning & Inspection Department is responsible for the following:

  • Enforcing building codes
  • Enforcing zoning regulations
  • Administering ordinances for permits and inspections
  • Enforcing dwelling standards ordinances
  • Condemning and removing hazardous buildings
  • Scheduling and conducting building inspections
  • Ensuring the health, safety and general welfare of our citizens

PLANNING COMMISSION POWERS AND DUTIES:  Except as provided in Neb. Rev. Stat. §§19-930 to 19-933, the Planning Commission shall (1) make and adopt plans for the physical development of the village, including any areas outside its boundaries which in the commission's judgment bear relation to the planning of such village and including a Comprehensive Development Plan as defined by Neb. Rev. Stat. §19-903; (2) prepare and adopt such implemental means as a capital improvement program, subdivision regulations, building codes, and a zoning ordinance in cooperation with other interested municipal departments; and (3) consult with and advise public officials and agencies, public utilities, civic organizations, educational institutions, and citizens with relation to the promulgation and implementation of the Comprehensive Development Plan and its implemental programs. The commission may delegate authority to any such group to conduct studies and make surveys for the commission, make preliminary reports on its findings, and hold public hearings before submitting its final reports. The Village Board shall not take final action on matters relating to the Comprehensive Development Plan, capital improvements, building codes, subdivision development, the annexation of territory, or zoning until it has received the recommendation of the Planning Commission. The Village Board shall by ordinance set a reasonable time within which the recommendation from the commission is to be received. A recommendation from the commission shall not be required for subdivision of existing lots and blocks whenever all required public improvements have been installed, no new dedication of public rights of way or easements is involved, and such subdivision complies with the ordinance requirements concerning minimum areas and dimensions of such lots and blocks, if the Village Board has designated an agent by ordinance pursuant to Neb. Rev. Stat. §19-916.

The commission may, with the consent of the Village Board, in its own name (1) make and enter into contracts with public or private bodies, (2) receive contributions, bequests, gifts, or grant funds from public or private sources, (3) expend the funds appropriated to it by the village, (4) employ agents and employees, and (5) acquire, hold, and dispose of property. The commission may on its own authority make arrangements consistent with its program, conduct or sponsor special studies or planning work for any public body or appropriate agency, receive grants, remuneration, or reimbursement for such studies or work, and at its public hearings, summon witnesses, administer oaths, and compel the giving of testimony.

The commission may grant conditional uses or special exceptions to property owners for the use of their property if the Village Board has, through a zoning ordinance or special ordinance, generally authorized the commission to exercise such powers and has approved the standards and procedures adopted by the commission for equitably and judiciously granting such conditional uses or special exceptions. The granting of a conditional use permit or special exception shall only allow property owners to put their property to a special use if it is among those uses specifically identified in the zoning ordinance as classifications of uses which may require special conditions or requirements to be met by the owners before a use permit or building permit is authorized. The power to grant conditional uses or special exceptions shall be the exclusive authority of the commission, except that the Village Board may choose to retain for itself the power to grant conditional uses or special exceptions for those classifications of uses specified in the zoning ordinance. The board may exercise such power if it has formally adopted standards and procedures for granting such conditional uses or special exceptions in a manner that is equitable and will promote the public interest. An appeal of a decision by the commission or Village Board regarding a conditional use or special exception shall be made to the District Court.


a blueprint

Planning and Zoning